I now work for the Brigham Young University - Idaho Office of University Communications, as the Web Services Coordinator!
It's a wonderful opportunity. Part of my responsibilities include: watching over the BYUI.edu web site (which, unlike most universities, is most of the web content), deploying a new web publishing platform (already in its final stages), and coordinating the online communications activities of all BYU-I entities (this last part is the most exciting). This position is all about improving online communication at BYU-Idaho!
In the past two weeks, I have come to realize just how directed I was to this position. There are several blog posts waiting to publish that explain the back story. I didn't want to release them while still in my previous position—before this position was final.
This is a wonderful opportunity and in many ways, it's my dream job.
One experience, back in September, summarizes this change very well. I had spent the day wrestling with various tech support issues before running over to a university Web Advisory Board meeting. When I walked into the meeting, it felt like entering a temple. I felt the cares of the world lift off me as I entered into the fellowship of Saints. We were gathered to serve, to uplift the university's efforts to communicate more effectively and efficiently. We were each contributing what we could, without judgement or coercion. And most of all, I loved the challenge at hand!
At that moment, I realized that this is what I love to do! I am a thinker, and a communicator—a leader when necessary, but preferring to work as a unified team. I care about why I work just as much as how, or for whom. I also realized that it was time to leave my computer support position.
My CSR position was only 10% what I loved. The other 90%, while not all bad, was more frustrating than fulfilling. I was off-track and getting further and further from my desired career path, my passion.
Communication is my real passion. While I loved helping people, fixing computer issues and all that, I really loved preventing issues through the application of my mind and communicating with others to empower them.
I also love the technological development and communal attitude of the Internet. My participation with the BYU web development community was uplifting, enlivening, challenging, and fulfilling. That is what I wanted to do!
After that experience, I began to sense why God had been prompting us to take the BYU-I Online Media Development Manager position back in June. I ruefully wondered why it hadn't worked out and if we had somehow lost an opportunity. My wife also was wondering the same thing.
Then, in November, I found this Web Services Coordinator position, and something clicked. The light went on and I understood what had been happening. The first job was just God priming the pump. He knew we would not be happy with a quick transplantation to Rexburg. So He gave us a test run, a tempting job that I would have enjoyed. But the Lord needed someone else in that position and He knew that BYU-I would need me in a position that was still forthcoming.
I didn't get that management job, and He let us stew it over for a few months. When this job appeared, I soon realized that this was my job. The Lord had heard my prayers and matched my skills and interests to this position! BYU-Idaho needed me, and I needed BYU-Idaho.
Throughout my life I have witnessed the attentive ear of the Lord observing my inner desires and quietly granting them as permitted (Ether 3:2). Usually, these have been inconsequential wishes or longings that I didn't want to bother God with in prayer. But this desire was strong and heartfelt. I had just neglected to take it to God in prayer. In fact, I had expressed feelings about unified web development across the university (BYU-Provo) to friends and family, but I believed that it wouldn't happen for years to come. I never prayed about it.
So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that God listens to the desires of your heart, for better or for worse. He doesn't just answer formal prayers (which indicates to me just how powerful prayers are, as formal requests). Also, I want to point out that God's blessings are contingent upon gratitude and obedience. The more grateful we are, the more lavishly he can bless us. Our efforts to be grateful also tune our desires to holiness, refining them and unifying our hearts with God's. This increases our obedience, qualifying us for more blessings, and the cycle continues until we can qualify for all blessings, even eternal life.
It's a wonderful process! And I must formally thank God for these new opportunities, for the personal growth and service ahead, and the opportunity to apply my ideas for improving university communications.